How To Keep Your Kidneys Healthy
You may not realize just how much your kidneys do for you. Their job is to filter your blood several times a day, removing impurities, controlling fluid balance and keeping the right levels of electrolytes. Kidneys can get damaged by diseases and chronic conditions like diabetes. Once your kidneys are damaged, they cannot filter blood as well as they should, posing other health risks. It’s important to keep your kidneys healthy to keep your blood flowing, filtering and functioning.
Follow these 10 tips to keep your kidneys in tip-top shape:
1. Don’t overdo certain over-the-counter pain medications
2. Be careful with antibiotics and take them only as prescribed 3. Eat healthy
4. Watch your salt intake 5. Stay hydrated
6. Exercise regularly 7. Get screened
8. Be careful with alcohol 9. Quit smoking
10. Manage other health conditions you might have
Maintaining an active lifestyle and balanced diet is the best thing you can do to make sure your kidneys stay healthy. Annual screenings and regular preventive care are an important part of that. If you have a condition that increases your risk for kidney damage like diabetes, you should also work closely with your doctor to treat and manage it. You can also participate in our Diabetes Management programs to help you better manage your condition and take an active role in your health.