Programs and resources to help you manage your weight and understand how it impacts your health.
Helping you eat right and stay active
An estimated one in three American adults are obese. We’re committed to helping you eat healthy and get active so you can enjoy a healthier life.Download the Guide
Understand Your Weight
Managing your weight is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, along with proper nutrition, physical activity and optimal sleep.
Your BMI compares your weight in relation to your height to determine if it’s within a healthy range.
Obesity impacts our nation’s health and economy
Despite being so common in the U.S., having a BMI 30 or higher poses some serious health risks that take a toll on your whole body.
Manage Your Weight
If your BMI is 30 or higher, losing just 3% to 5% of your total weight is enough to start to see positive health changes.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes fruits & vegetables, whole grains, fiber, healthy fats, smaller portions and no sugary drinks
- Aim to stop eating when you feel full instead of cleaning your plate each time
- Practice mindful eating compared to eating in front of a TV or while on a phone
- Talk to your doctor about an exercise routine that makes sense for your health
- At least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity per week is recommended
- Your doctor may start you with a more simple routine like taking walks once a day
- Instead of being critical about your weight, encourage any healthy behaviors and the things you are doing right
These programs can help you manage your weight.
Get a personalized action plan and track progress toward your health goals. Eligible Standard and Basic Option members* can earn up to $170 after completing their Blue Health Assessment and three goals with Daily Habits.
FEP Blue Focus members can get rewarded for having their annual physical every year. Choose from several rewards like a four-month gym membership, a personalized nutrition plan and more.
Get access to handpicked deals on your favorite national health and wellness brands. Save on everything from gym memberships to exercise apparel and family care to nutrition.
Connect with a registered dietician who can evaluate your nutritional needs and help you develop personalized meal plans—all from your phone or computer. These virtual visits are covered in full for all Service Benefit Plan members.
Surgical treatment of morbid obesity
FEP also covers procedures to treat morbid obesity. For members 18 and over with a BMI 40 or higher or a BMI 35 or higher with one or more comorbidities, benefits are available for the following procedures:
- Gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Biliopancreatic bypass with duodenal switch