FEP Member Rights and Responsibilities
We’re committed to your healthcare needs, so we make your rights and responsibilities readily accessible.
Last Revised 03-08-2022
As our valued member:
1. We ask that you give us and your healthcare providers accurate information as needed (including any allergies you have, medications you take or over-the-counter (OTC) products you use), so that you can access your benefits and collectively we can better work with you to help you reach your health goals. Together, you and your healthcare team should develop a mutually agreed upon care plan. You should work with your team to better understand these agreed upon goals and follow the plan to the best of your ability. If you have any information that could affect your care – such as a living will or power of attorney – you should provide this information to your providers.
2. Your healthcare providers must allow you, and/or someone you choose, to actively participate in your healthcare decisions. You can ask your providers to provide you, and/or your representative, any information related to a diagnosis, evaluation, treatment or prognosis you receive. You should discuss any medical treatment options related to your health with your providers, regardless of the treatment cost or whether or not we cover it. If you choose to receive treatment that is not a covered benefit, you agree to accept any of the charges as outlined in the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan brochures.
3. We respect your right to privacy; so do the providers who participate in our network. You can approve or refuse the release of any of your personal information. We hold all our member records confidential and will only release (disclose) them to the appropriate entities if required to do so by law.
4. Above all, we will always treat you with dignity and respect and consider your needs and preferences. The same treatment you expect from us, we ask you to provide to us and anyone else involved in your healthcare. You have a right to contact us if you:
• Need to voice a comment
• Have a complaint
• Wish to appeal a decision about us or the care a provider in our network provides.
Also, if you ever feel the need to change providers for any reason, you can do so easily by searching our provider directory.
5. You or your providers can always ask us for more information about what we expect from you as our member, and what you should expect from your healthcare team. You also have the right to ask for more information about our organization, the providers who participate in our network, and your rights and responsibilities. If you have any recommendations on this rights and responsibilities statement, please let us know. Please print this page for a copy of this statement, or you can request a copy by calling the number on the back of your member ID card during regular business hours.
6. You have the right to access the services our Plan provides (including the National Doctor and Hospital Finder, wellness incentives and discounts, telehealth benefits and more), by creating a secure account on our member website, MyBlue®, or by downloading the fepblue mobile app. You can also call the customer service number on your member ID card to access any of our non-web-based services, such as care management.
7. We’re dedicated to fair and ethical practices and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. This Plan does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. We offer language assistance and communications in alternate formats in accordance with culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS) standards. Learn more about our nondiscrimination policies:
• Blue Cross Blue Shield FEP VisionSM
• Blue Cross Blue Shield FEP DentalSM
8. We encourage you to learn as much as you can about using your benefits by reading through the information on this website, fepblue.org. If you have any questions or need assistance using your benefits, call the customer service number on the back of your member ID card.