COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Resource Center
What you need to know about the disease and our coverage commitment.
Over-the-counter tests are fast and easy to use
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, testing is an important way to limit the spread of the disease.
OTC tests, also known as self-tests, detect if you are currently infected with COVID-19. They are typically easy to use and produce rapid results.
Where you can get tests
The government is committed to ensuring access to OTC tests. Here are four ways you can get tests for you and your family:
Have Tests Sent to Your Home
Visit covidtests.gov to get free tests delivered to your home by the U.S. Postal Service.
Find a Free Test in Your Area
Contact your local health department to learn about free COVID-19 testing locations or pickup sites.
Purchase Tests and Get Reimbursed
Purchase FDA-authorized OTC tests at a retail location and then submit a Health Benefits Claim Form, providing an itemized receipt that clearly shows that your purchase was for a COVID-19 OTC test to your local BCBS Plan. If you do not have an itemized receipt, you must send us the barcode (UPC code) from your test(s) packaging. Once we process your claim, we’ll mail the contract holder a reimbursement check. You can download the claim form here or call the number on the back of your member ID card to receive one by mail.
Visit a Retail Pharmacy
To pay no out-of-pocket costs, order your tests online through cvs.com or the CVS Pharmacy mobile app for store pickup1. You can also go to any other in-network retail pharmacy and purchase the test kits at the pharmacy counter2. Purchase up to 8 tests per family member in a 30-day period. To find an in-network pharmacy, click here or download the fepblue app. See our FAQ for detailed instructions.
1 Orders not picked up within 72 hours (about 3 days) will be cancelled. Pickup cannot happen via drive-thru and tests will not be shipped.
2 Some pharmacies may not be able to process claims for OTC tests at the pharmacy counter. If this happens, you can pay for the test and then submit a claim for reimbursement.
Get reimbursed for your over-the-counter COVID-19 tests
OTC tests purchased at retail locations cost, on average, $12 for a single test and $24 for a double test kit.
FEP will cover up to eight (8) over-the-counter COVID-19 tests per member on a contract per calendar month.
Here’s how to get reimbursed:
Submit a claim form
- Complete a Health Benefits Claim Form and submit it by mail to your local BCBS company.
- Provide an itemized receipt that clearly shows that your purchase was for a COVID-19 test. If you do not have an itemized receipt, you must send us the barcode (UPC code) from your test(s) packaging.
- It must include the original receipt or a copy of the receipt for purchasing the tests.
- You can submit any number of receipts on a single claim form.
- You must submit a separate claim form for each covered family member.
Submit up to 8 tests a month
- Once you reach the limit of eight tests per member per calendar month, we will not reimburse claims for additional tests.
- Once we process your claim, the contract holder will receive a reimbursement check by mail.
- We generally process claims within 30 days from receiving your completed claim form and receipts.
What if you test positive?
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations, if your over-the-counter test has a positive result, you should follow the latest CDC guidance for isolation, wear a well-fitted mask if you have contact with others and call your healthcare provider.
If you have any questions about your over-the-counter test, you should call your healthcare provider or check out our FAQs.