Summer Sandwich Recipe Ideas
Easy to assemble and endlessly customizable, there’s a reason that sandwiches are a big people pleaser.
Here’s a look at three fresh takes for summer sandwiches:
Tuna avocado sandwich
- 1 whole avocado
- 2 5 ounce cans of tuna (drained)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 cup of onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of dill, dried (optional)
1. Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and spoon into bowl. Mash avocado with a fork.
2. Add tuna and onion into the bowl.
3. Add lemon juice and dill.
4. Mix in ¼ tsp of salt and ½ tsp pepper.
Spread onto a whole grain bread (or toast) of your choice. For an extra healthy boost, add arugula or spinach.
Avocado chicken salad
- 1 large chicken breast (about 2 cups shredded)
- garlic powder, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 small avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup diced onion, any kind
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 1 rib)
1) If you have leftover chicken, skip to the next step. Heat oven to 350 °F. Season chicken breast with garlic powder and pepper. Place in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 165 °F. Remove chicken and let cool before shredding.
2) In a large bowl, smash avocado. Stir in yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in chicken, onion and celery.
3) Spread onto a whole grain bread (or toast) of your choice. For an extra healthy boost, add arugula or spinach.
Use an airtight container to store extras in the refrigerator.
Cucumber cream cheese sandwich
- 3/4 cup light cream cheese, slightly softened
- Half a large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of whole-wheat bread
1) Spread cream cheese on each slice of bread (about 3 tablespoons per sandwich)
2) Place cucumber slices on one half of each sandwich and top with remaining bread slices
3) Serve right away or wrap them up for a tasty snack later
Pro tip: Customize this sandwich using dill cream cheese, or add sliced tomato. For a powerful punch of protein, add sliced turkey.
Online Health Coach
Taking charge of your health shouldn’t be a solo mission. The Online Health Coach is here to help. Use it to set and manage goals, track your progress and pursue healthy activities. Click here to learn more.