Morning Stretches to Start Your Day
What can stretching do for you? Besides limbering up, it helps activate your muscles—and brain— to jump-start your day.
Here’s the best part: These stretches are easy enough for anyone to do, and effective enough to help you feel better prepared to tackle your day. Plus, as your body gets used to the movements, you can add more advanced stretches and yoga poses.
Start with these 6 simple stretches below. Tip: While performing each stretch, take slow, deep breaths.
Full Body Stretch
Start with this basic stretch from the comfort of your own bed.
● Lying flat, extend your arms above your head. Keep your shoulders pressed against the mattress.
● Feel yourself stretch from your fingertips, down to the tips of your toes.
● Take 4–5 deep breaths while holding the stretch, then repeat it three times.
● Stand up straight with your feet flat on the floor.
● Extend your arms as high as possible and hold.
● Stay in this position for as long as it’s comfortable while taking slow, steady breaths.
● Standing up straight, link your hands behind your back.
● Pull your shoulders back as far as possible.
● Lift your clasped hands upward as far as is comfortable.
● Take 3-4 deep breaths in this position.
● Stand up and extend your left arm up straight.
● Grip your left wrist with your right hand and gently pull your left arm toward your right side, leaning your torso slightly. Aim to have your left arm over your left ear.
● Keep your knees straight and take deep, slow breaths. Hold for several breaths.
● Return to a neutral position, then repeat on your right side.
● While standing, extend your left arm straight across your body toward the right side.
● Hook your right arm around your left elbow and gently pull your left arm closer to your body.
● Take several deep breaths holding this position.
● When ready, repeat by switching sides, extending your right arm.
● Lie flat on the floor and slowly lift one knee toward your chest.
● Hold the knee with both hands while taking several deep, slow breaths.
● Repeat on your other leg.
These moves go beyond stretching muscles. Combined with controlled breathing, they can help center your mornings and start the day in the present moment. Stretch assured, adding these moves to your morning routine will have a positive impact on your day.
Set goals. Earn rewards.
With the Online Health Coach, FEP gives you access to tools and resources that support your health journey. Use it to set goals, create a plan and track your progress. That’s not all! Eligible Standard and Basic Option members can earn rewards after completing the Blue Health Assessment and achieving up to three Online Health Coach goals.