Quick, Healthy Dishes You Can Make in a Mug
Short on time but need a healthy snack on the go? Microwave mug recipes are all the rage. Because they cook in just a few minutes in the microwave, you can whip them together in no time flat.
Healthy Spinach Omelet in a Mug
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon feta or goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup fresh baby spinach
1 ½ teaspoons chives, minced
Pinch of salt and pepper, optional
- Grab a microwave-safe mug and give it a quick spritz with spray oil.
- Add the eggs and milk. Beat until well combined.
- Stir in the cheese, spinach, chives, salt and pepper.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Remove the mug from the microwave and cool for 1 minute. (Caution, mug will be hot!)
- Serve and enjoy!
Burrito Bowl in a Mug
¼ cup white rice
½ cup water
2 tablespoons canned black beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon salsa
½ a fresh lime
- Put the rice and water in a large, microwave-safe mug.
- Microwave on high for 1 – 1.5 minutes, or until it boils. Let sit for one minute.
- Microwave for 5-6 minutes more at 50% power. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and salsa. Microwave for 1 minute on high to heat all ingredients.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Healthier Chocolate Cake in a Mug
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
⅛ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon nonfat milk
2 ½ teaspoons maple syrup or honey
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spritz a large, microwave-safe mug with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl, whisk the coconut oil, Greek yogurt, milk, maple syrup and vanilla together.
- Add the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture, and stir until just uniform. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared mug. Microwave on 30% power for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Cool for 2 minutes before serving.