Quitting is hard. But we’re here to help by providing the right tools and resources to keep you motivated along the way. With the Tobacco Cessation Incentive Program, Standard and Basic Option members can get tips, support and a range of smoking and tobacco cessation drugs at no charge. FEP Blue Focus members can also get tobacco cessation drugs at no cost to enjoy a tobacco-free life. With more people switching to alternatives like vaping, this program also covers nicotine dependence from e-cigarettes.
Here’s how to participate*:
- Take the Blue Health Assessment and indicate that you use tobacco
- Set a goal to quit tobacco with the Online Health Coach by selecting a Quit Date within the benefit year and completing all seven quit plan questions
- When these steps are complete, get a prescription from your doctor for your eligible tobacco cessation drugs, including over-the-counter (OTC) products (see the list below)
- Pick up your free medication at a Preferred retail pharmacy. Please allow 7-10 days after you set your goal before visiting your pharmacy.
The following prescription drugs are covered through this program when you use a Preferred retail pharmacy:
- Bupropion ER 150 mg tablet
- Bupropion SR 150 mg tablet
Brand Name Drugs
- Chantix 0.5 mg tablet
- Chantix 1 mg continuing monthly pack
- Chantix 1 mg tablet
- Chantix starting monthly pack
- Nicotrol cartridge inhaler
- Nicotrol NS Spray 10 mg/ml
Over-the-Counter Products, such as
- Nicorette Gum
- Nicoderm CQ Patch
- Commit Lozenges
To receive benefits for over-the-counter smoking and tobacco cessation drugs, you must have a physician’s prescription for each OTC drug, which must be filled at a Preferred retail pharmacy.
Regular prescription drug benefits will apply to smoking and tobacco cessation drugs not meeting these criteria.
Remember: You’re never too old to quit smoking or using tobacco
When you Quit With Blue, you can look forward to these health benefits:
3 days: nicotine has left your body
1 year: risk of coronary heart disease cuts in half
2-5 years: risk of mouth, throat, esophagus and bladder cancer cuts in half; risk of stroke reduces to that of a non-tobacco user
10 years: half as likely to die from lung cancer; risk of kidney or pancreatic cancer decreases
15 years: risk of coronary heart disease drops to a non-tobacco user's
*You must be the contract holder or spouse, 18 or older, on a Standard or Basic Option Plan to participate in this program.